Friday, March 13, 2009

Here comes home!

I’ve been a bad blogger. It’s been a few weeks in a row now that I haven’t met my own 1/week goal - I guess things can get a bit hectic, even in Kenya. I don’t have much time to write this so I’ll keep this short, with the promise that something a bit more substantial is coming in a few days.

Our second course, the mammal course, ended yesterday with a 3.5 hour essay-based final exam followed once again by sundowners with the professor. I learned more than I ever imagined I would know about mammal physiology, social behavior, mating systems etc. Most of it was fun, although I wouldn’t have missed the multiple hours we spent sitting in a Land Rover waiting to record data on zebras who refused to participate in our experiment. Either way, it definitely feels nice to have a few days off. Our next course is an engineering course on global technology, and I’m very excited for it.

In the meantime I have something else to occupy the next few days. After two hectic weeks of last minute planning and organizing, my family finalized plans to come over here and visit me during spring break (all four of them!). They stayed in Nairobi last night, and this morning I’m going to meet them in Nanyuki and we’re all (+ Josephine) going to start a 3-day trek on Mt. Kenya, the second highest mountain in Africa! It's supposed to be absolutely gorgeous. When we’re done with that they’re going to come down to Mpala and catch a glimpse of my life for the next 6 weeks before heading off to other things. It’s been over a month and a half since I’ve seen them (or anyone else from my normal life), and it will be really nice to have a little taste of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment