Sunday, February 1, 2009

Introduction

Welcome family, friends, and strangers! In this blog I will keeping an illustrated log of my thoughts and experiences during my 3+ month stay in Kenya. For those who don't know, I am here through a Princeton study abroad program run jointly by the Ecology & Evolutionary Biology and Civil & Environmental Engineering Departments. I’m staying at the Mpala Research Center in Nanyuki, Kenya, and taking 4 field courses during the semester, as well as completing an independent project designing and constructing a weir.

This is my first experience writing a blog, and I’m hoping I’ll be sufficiently good at it. My goals/guidelines/expectations for myself:
  1. I will try to write a few times per week
  2. I will try to include as many pictures as possible. I may embed a few in the posts, but I will also link to web-albums with more photos (and captions).
  3. I will try to be concise, but thorough.
Please feel free to comment on anything I post – I’d love to get feedback from you (or just hear from you). I have a feeling it's going to be an exciting semester.

-Sam

3 comments:

  1. sweet! i dig the expectations/goals etc. you're already doing much better than i did (yes, admittedly that's not saying much).

    weir: a small dam in a river or stream. ?
    what are you actually doing and what is the goal/purpose? (i assume you're not working on beaver habitats.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, and i also wondered what a weir is.

    and ditto Rynowin on digging the expectations/goals. i gotta do that with my blog.

    - elizabeth/jamila

    ReplyDelete
  3. A weir is structurally very similar to a small dam, but has a different purpose: whereas dams are generally used to store water, stop floods, or generate electricity, weirs are used to accurately gauge discharge of a stream. With the correct design you can direct water flow in such a way that the output of the weir is directly proportional to the measurable height of the water over the surface.

    :)

    ReplyDelete